Alice Kirby BSc (Hons) Psychology and Counselling, Dip Hyp, HPD, MNCH (Reg.), Dip CBEd (CBI)
I'm a clinical hypnotherapist, childbirth educator, psychology and counselling graduate and work-at-home mum with over ten years of professional experience in the childbirth field.
I live in a little log cabin in the quiet countryside of Cornwall, UK. I have a three year old daughter Maya, whose homebirth was pretty straightforward and non-dramatic (read Maya's birth story).
Contrary to the usual 'hippy' assumptions, I'm a down-to-earth rationalist. Think nerdy science geek rather than crunchy earth mother... Particular spheres of geekdom include birth research, talk-based radio, stand-up comedy and Buffy the Vampire Slayer (!) When I'm not being a mum, working or editing this website I can often be found in a swimming pool or listening to a podcast in bed with a cup of tea :)
As a small independent business my ethos is quality, simplicity, honesty and affordability. My approach to birth is holistic yet grounded. My practice is regulated and evidence-based. I pay close attention to the mind-body connection. I aim to inform and support you to become more confident and empowered. In the best possible sense I couldn't care less about how you give birth (e.g. normal / assisted / caesarean) as long as you have a positive experience.
I moved to London from Cornwall to do my degree in psychology and counselling at Roehampton University (2000 - 2003).
From 2003-2005 I worked as a trainee midwife at St Thomas' hospital, with lectures at King's College London. Placements were completed in the community, on antenatal, postnatal, gynaecology and theatre wards, and on delivery suite where I supported over 100 couples during childbirth. I had the honour of personally 'catching' 22 babies at the beautiful 'Home-from-Home' birthing suite overlooking the River Thames and Westminster (I literally used to look at Big Ben to note the time babies were born!)
I then decided to move on from midwifery and chose to work instead as an independent childbirth educator and birth doula. I attained my Childbirth International diploma in childbirth education and completed active birth training with the world renowned Janet Balaskas. I qualified as a birth doula with Nurturing Birth in 2006.
I originally trained in hypnobirthing in 2006 with UK Natal Hypnotherapy™ founder Maggie Howell. I did the seven day training as part of her original group of practitioners, and successfully taught Natal Hypnotherapy™ branded courses to parents in London and Cornwall for two years - many of my former clients' positive birth stories feature in Maggie's book.
I have also done the five days practitioner training with the American HypnoBirthing Institute and worked as a HypnoBirthing - The Mongan Approach® practitioner for a year or so.
Since 2008 I have been delivering my own independent hypnobirthing workshops. These are unaffiliated with any third party company, draw on my midwifery background and provide up to date evidence-based support, flexibility and value for money. The workshop is always evolving in response to feedback from parents. My new online hypnobirthing course includes all the hypnobirthing tuition taught in my face-to-face workshops but makes it more accessible to a wider audience. The ability to buy my hypnobirthing MP3s separately is also a recent development.
In 2013 I formalised my training in hypnosis and achieved Clinical Hypnotherapist certification by completing my Hypnotherapy Practitioner Diploma (HPD). This highly regarded hypnotherapy qualification is accredited by the National Council for Hypnotherapy (NHC) and is also externally accredited by Ofqual recognised body NCFE. The HPD is fully compliant with the National Occupational Hypnotherapy Standards, and as such I'm a member of the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) - the Department of Health recommended register of practitioners.
Qualifications and experience...
- Clinical Hypnotherapist certified by Adam Eason School of Therapeutic Hypnosis
- Awarded Hypnotherapy Practitioner Diploma (HPD)
- National Council for Hypnotherapy (NCH) registered
- Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) registered
- Psychology & Counselling BSc (Hons), University of Roehampton, London, 2003
- Diploma in Childbirth Education, Childbirth International, 2008
- Midwifery Practice modules passed at King's College London university:
• Principles of Midwifery Practice: 30 credits at HE level I: 2003/4
• Developing Midwifery Practice: 30 credits at HE level II: 2004/5
• Sexual Health Awareness in Midwifery: 15 credits at HE level I: 2003/4
• Interprofessional Education and Midwifery: 15 credits at HE level I: 2003/4
• Biological Basis of Midwifery Assessment: 30 credits at HE level I: 2003/4
• Psychosocial Context of Midwifery Care: 30 credits at HE level I: 2003/4
• Research Awareness for Clinical Practice: 15 credits at HE level II: 2004/5
• Medical Problems and Childbirth: 15 credits at HE level II: 2004/5
- Guys & St Thomas' Hospital Trust placements completed: 2003-2005
• Community: e.g. antenatal clinics, antenatal classes and postnatal visits
• Antenatal: e.g. antenatal ward and antenatal classes
• Postnatal: e.g. postnatal ward and postnatal visits
• Intrapartum: e.g. 'home-from-home' midwifery-led birthing centre
• Other clinical areas: e.g. gynaecology ward and general theatre
- Trained to practitioner level and experienced in HypnoBirthing® The Mongan Method, 2008
- Trained to practitioner level and experienced in Natal Hypnotherapy™, 2006
- Doula UK recognised birth doula and Nurturing Birth certified birth doula, 2006
- Active Birth Foundation modules 1&2 with Janet Balaskas, 2007
- PROSPECT (Judith Schott) one day workshop on leading antenatal classes, 2005
- AAPA accredited aromatherapy massage weekend workshops x 4, 2007
- Member of the Cornwall Birth Network
- Member of NHS Kernow Maternity Services Liason Committee (MSLC)